Justice For All Malaysia

Malaysiakini:Anwar: Let me testify, I’ve new evidence

Posted on: January 22, 2008

 
Beh Lih Yi | Jan 21, 08 8:43pm
PKR de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim said he can provide new evidence on the VK Lingam video-clip controversy should he be allowed to testify before the commission of inquiry tasked to probe the matter.

This ‘offer’ came after his lawyer again failed today to persuade the commission to call the politician as a witness because he is due to leave for Hong Kong tomorrow.

“I want to adduce further evidence to support my argument (to show) that this whole deceit and conspiracy involving Tengku Adnan (Tengku Mansor), Vincent Tan and VK Lingam,” he told reporters at the Jalan Duta court complex, where the inquiry being held, this afternoon.

According to him, this involved an alleged plot in 1999 where Anwar was accused of amassing RM3 billion overseas by former Bank Negara assistant governor Abdul Murad Khalid.

This was soon after Anwar, who was deputy premier and finance minister, was sacked by then prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

In the purported plot, Lingam allegedly played an influential role in fixing the court case involving Murad – who was charged for failure to declare his assets – with then chief justice Mohd Eusoff Chin.

“Murad was forced to make an admission that I have RM3 billions overseas. I have obtained information from him (Murad) that he had to do it under instruction and the negotiation began in Tengku Adnan’s house and in the presence of Vincent Tan.

“Lingam forced him (Murad) to make the admission, otherwise he would be threatened with a jail sentence… Of course, Lingam assured Murad that he had already made the arrangement with (then chief justice) Eusoff Chin (let him off easy),” Anwar claimed.

Mr X and Mr Y

The ‘Anwar has RM3 billion’ admission by Murad came a month after the central bank’s senior official was charged with not declaring assets worth an estimated RM24 million in shares and properties in a local company.

The case went to trial and in 2000, Murad – a former ally of former deputy premier – was found guilty and slapped with RM500,000 fine.

Anwar has always maintained that there was a conspiracy to oust him after he fell out with Mahathir.

Last week, Anwar’s lawyer M Puravalen (right) questioned Mahathir and Tengku Adnan, a key minister in the PM”s Department at that time, over the said conspiracy when the duo took the stand. They however denied knowledge of such a plot.

Puravalen has also said that Anwar would offer two ‘secret’ witnesses – codenamed ‘Mr X’ and ‘Mr Y’ – who will give further evidence of judicial fixing and corruption at the inquiry.

While one of the secret witnesses is Lingam’s younger brother Rajendram Vellupillai – whose name was unwittingly revealed by commissioner Mahadev Shankar at the inquiry this morning – the second witness is believed to be Murad.

(Another Lingam’s brother, VK Thirunama Karasu, has also offered to testify before the commission.)

When asked about the identity of the two ‘secret’ witnesses at the press conference today, Anwar nevertheless remained tightlipped.

Poser over delay

Meanwhile, Anwar wondered why he had yet been called to testify by the commission.

He had already been subpoenaed by the commission and was the fifth on the witness list.

“But now the commission wants a written submission (from my lawyer) as to why I should be heard – this is rather odd,” he told reporters, adding that this raised questions on the conduct and the integrity of the commission.

In addition to giving new evidence to the commission, Anwar – who first made public the Lingam tape last September – said it was crucial for him to testify since his name was mentioned in the video-clip.

Asked whether he would be able to testify after he had gone overseas tomorrow, Anwar said he would try to return to the country when he is called.

At the onset of the inquiry this morning, Puravalen argued that he had made a number of applications since last Thursday to seek an early date for Anwar to appear before the commission.

In turning down the request, commission chief Haidar Mohd Noor said: “We will decide, it is not your order.”

As Puravalen persisted, Mahadev stepped in: “If your request is (for us) to take Anwar (as a witness) now, then the answer is no.”

Advertisements

2 Responses to "Malaysiakini:Anwar: Let me testify, I’ve new evidence"

I remember in the UK, people protested by chaining themselves to gates, poles, trees….anything to make a point.

Somehow the RC’s refusal to let Anwar testify brings about visions of Anwar chaining himself to the Court perimeter fence in protest against this denial of his rights to testify.

i have more clip

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Must Attend Program

Please go to this link: https://justice4allkuantan.wordpress.com/2008/10/25/invitation-public-forum-the-isa-and-the-police-reform-process-whats-next-after-pak-lah/
To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people - Emily Cox

Siphoning EPF money

On 'Why should Valuecap borrow from EPF?' Syed Shahir Syed Mohamud: MTUC condemns the government's move to bail out Valuecap to support the local stock market using RM5 billion from EPF, as the provident fund is the custodian of the workers' money and not some sort of ‘automated teller machine' for the government.
If at all the EPF were to lend its money to the government, it has to be under the condition that there be transparency and accountability in the activities for which the money has been purposed. We want to know who is doing what with the money that belongs to the workers. This is the hard-earned money of the workers, their retirement plan. How is this bailout plan going to benefit the workers? We also question the reason for this bailout. If the economic fundamentals in Malaysia are strong and reserves sufficient as has been stated several times by the government, then why is there a need to offer so much money to the GLCs? Second Finance Minister Nor Mohamed Yakcop should prove how the EPF would profit from this loan. Bernama had reported that Nor had given the assurance that the loan given out by EPF would reap profits for the fund judging from Valuecap's past performance. But where is the paperwork and calculations to show that this move will benefit the EPF? MTUC is concerned that the loan might be mismanaged or misused and this, in turn, would affect the returns for the contributors. Mere assurances are not enough. We want to proof that this RM5 billion will not go down the drain. (The writer is president, MTUC). Sharyn: The government wants to use our pension money to prop up the Malaysian stock market which is the playing field of the rich people. If so, the government must ensure that the EPF account holders - who are predominantly the poor to average citizens of Malaysia - be guaranteed all of our pension money with a compound 8% growth (interest). It's so selfish and sick of the government to use the poor's pension money to help the rich to make more money with all the risks taken by the poor/average citizen. We can better use the RM% billion loans to Valuecap for our children's education, shelter, medical bills etc. Why not get those rich people to prop up the share market instead? Why should they park their money overseas and gamble with our EPF money instead? Kumar14: Who is behind this Valuecap organisation? Why suddenly, this separate entity is allowed to access funds from the EPF? Are they capable enough to handle it or is it just another desperate and blind move? It has been a very infamous trend where the people's funds are channeled to a company for investment purposes and suddenly POP! the funds disappear and there is nobody to be held responsible but a RM2 shell company. Charge who? Sue whom? The RM2 company (just a registered name)? We have seen this many times. People in power and with connections allow such things to go through and reap/rob the people's wealth and then blame it on organisations which actually don't exist. What if a lot of EPF funds are looted via such scams and nobody is to be pointed at? Where will the government get the funds to replenish the EPF? The people are very bored, disappointed, angry and frustrated at seeing all these dumb and unaccounted for measures being allowed by the government with lame excuses. Please, somebody verify the true purpose, integrity and capability of anybody attempting to use the people's fund.

Raja Petra

Photobucket Ihsan dari blog Go!Malaysian http://gomalaysian.blogspot.com/

ANWAR IBRAHIM

A prosperous future is indivisible from a firm commitment to the principles of distributive justice, the rule of law and a profound respect for human rights.

Email Address:

justice4allmsia@yahoo.com

Archives

January 2008
M T W T F S S
« Dec   Feb »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  

Blog Stats

  • 117,390 hits
%d bloggers like this: